Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Skinny Deviled Eggs

Happy "eat those hardboiled eggs before they are expired!" Or, 10 days past Easter!

Hope you all were celebrating with family and friends! We had a great brunch with my side of the family, sandwiched with a work weekend.

Esquire and I have both been doing 50+ hour weeks as of late which has made life complicated. Easter at least was lovely :)

And the Skinny Deviled Eggs later in the week? Guilt free bliss.


Sidebar: our eggs were Batman.



And to make these eggs... these delicious and healthy, happy, eggs...




Well. We killed the Batman.



Such colorful destruction. The joker would be proud. 

Anyway. To make these eggs, you have to peel your beautiful Easter eggs. As I said before, you are pressing your luck at this point anyway. Those puppies are good for another 4 days or so tops.


As with all deviled eggs recipes, the trick is the slice and spoon. You cut your hardboiled eggs in half and carefully extract the yellow yolks. Dump the yolks into a small bowl for mixing and deposit your egg bases onto a tray. 


Deviled Eggs are usually just little fat boats but, I adapted this recipe from Skinny Taste. Into your bowl of yolks (if you are making 12 eggs worth), dump: 
-4 tbsp fat free greek yogurt
-1 tbsp low fat mayo
-4 tsp dijion mustard
-Salt and pepper to taste


Here's the fun part! Dump the yolk mixture (after sampling to ensure it is up to par) into a ziploc bag. Cut off the tip and pipe the egg bases with the yolk filling. All is now right in the world again.


For extra fancy, sprinkle with paprika and chives.


Boom. Deviled eggs.

:) hope you enjoy them as much as we did. We just had a dozen for dinner with a salad, ha. It's still skinny if you eat 6, right? 

6 comments:

  1. Deviled eggs are a classic. This recipe makes them so much healthier. Great way to have used up the Easter eggs. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Catherine! And, fun fact, neither husband or I noted any flavor difference! Hope you get a chance to try them out, thanks so much for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Good to know you didn't taste any difference! I think I may have to try this recipe out. I've got a baby shower I'm helping host in a few weeks and I'm on food duty and even though I'm sure no one will care that these are a little healthier, I kind of like to try to sneak in stuff that is better for people even without them knowing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that all the time! And yes, I didn't taste any difference but, to be fair, I only have deviled eggs about once a year so if there is a slight texture difference or something, it would be lost on me. I will say that I can't imagine any flavor shift that the mustard wouldn't cover and that greek yogurt and mayo have a similar consistency so... paired with the natural fat of the eggs... it is a complete win in my book :)

      Delete