Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Snow Ball Cookies

To be honest, I'd never really found myself a big fan of the "Snowball" treat made by Hostess. I was always more of a "Ho-Ho" kind of girl. But I found myself craving the chocolatey-marshmellowy-coconuty-confection during my very hectic finals week and decided to give an improvisational dessert a whirl.

Basically, these are a variation and rendition of my carrot cake cookies. I used a chocolate cake mix instead though and completely changed the topping. I brought them in for a class, my last class in college actually, and everyone seemed to enjoy them! I had made about 50 so, the fact that only 5 remained at the end of the period was encouraging for the flavor approval.

As per me, these are extremely easy to make. You just need cake mix, an egg, oil, and then marshmallow fluff and coconut. I dyed mine pink for fun, my first time dying coconut!, and think it was worth the slight effort. Pretty much super easy and then the result is even more adorable.

In short, these are a fun, flavorful, cookie that will be easily made and enjoyed by all :)

Snowball Cookies
-1 devils food cake mix
-1 egg
-1/2 cup oil
-Marshmallow Fluff (Vanilla Icing would also work)
-Coconut Flakes
-Pink Food Dye (Optional)

Combine the mix, egg, and oil. Stir well, place on cookie sheet in small dollops. Bake at 350 for 8 to 10 minutes, allow to cool completely. Spread with fluff (or vanilla icing if you don't love the fluff) and then dip the cookie in coconut to coat the icing. Just dabbing the sticking icing/fluff into your coconut will make it stick. Serve and enjoy.

(I dyed my fluff pink by adding a few drops and stirring it up and my coconut by adding a few drops to the coconut in a gallon ziploc and then shaking it up. Once pink, I put it on a paper towel to dry a bit and then used it accordingly. Worked like a charm.)



2 comments:

  1. Lovely looking cookies.

    I'm hosting the Culinary Smackdown Battle for March--the theme is Cookies. They are perfect for this month's theme. Would you like to join in for the fun? All you have to do is link up your cookie creation. I have some great prizes waiting. Hope to see your entry soon!

    Amy
    http://utry.it/2011/03/culinary-smackdown-battlecookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat! These look like little pink puffballs. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete