Monday, January 17, 2011

The Cake is NOT a Lie... Soda Cake


So, for those who are unfamiliar with the video game "Portal", I don't suppose this post's name makes a whole lot of sense...

I suppose one could simply summarize the game for the newbies who come across this page but, the important part of the story is really just that this recipe is a complete facade. You should go play portal and work it out for yourself. This here though, is DISGUSTINGLY simple. It is cannot count as a recipe, it is a completely ridiculous, just 3 ingredient, recipe. For a cake. 3 ingredients, including the can of icing, FOR A CAKE. And YET! It really is just three ingredients. Including the can of icing!

This is "No Lie" Cake. It's fluffy, light, and made with just one can/12 oz bottle of soda and a cake mix. That's all.

Being a stage 10 klutz, I still made my kitchen/self a disaster. As you can clearly see, right here:

Oh, and here:


But in the end, the cake turned out nicely.


This cake, shown here, is a vanilla cake mix made with a black cherry soda. You simply combine the cake with the pop and mix it. I never used a hand mixer, just a big spoon, but I imagine that would make it even more ridiculously fluffy. I topped mine with a can of icing (vanilla) and ATTACKED everything with sprinkles.

I piped "no lie" in melted chocolate that I let cool in the fridge until it'd create that nice 3D look and, ta-da! "No lie" Soda Cake.

Anyway, please make note that this cake is simple and you should keep it simple when working with it. Twice now I have overshot the ability of this treat to hold its shape once free of the pan. I will never do so again. That is the main reason I got into an epic battle with those sprinkles. The cake was near cracking, in a desperate attempt to glue it together with frosting, I covered it with sprinkles to keep things in place. Just save yourself the nightmare, keep it in a pan or in a single layer. You'll be happier, promise.

Make and enjoy :)

Soda Cake
-1 box cake mix
-1 can/bottle (12 oz) soda

Choose any flavor of both cake mix and soda. Stir to combine.
DO NOT ADD EGGS, OIL, OR WATER. SERIOUSLY- JUST THE SODA.

Pour into greased pans, bake at 350 until a tooth pick comes out clean (approx 25 mins). Cool it entirely and top with icing, powdered sugar, or cinnamon to your liking. Yellow cake mix with coke and cinnamon is delicious. Dr. Pepper with chocolate cake is also intriguing. Try something fun and let me know how it goes!


*Update* Showcased on Sweet Saturdays

16 comments:

  1. Very interesting and worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by at our MGCC website..and finishing my soup...
    I always make this soup...and eat leftovers for days...depends how many come around the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've totally done it with diet soda too. So crazy!! I like vanilla cake with diet dr pepper... mmmmmm so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make a cake similar to this with champagne - it's delicious! So light and fluffy.

    http://happensafterfive.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh neat! I made that cake years ago! I'd forgotten all about it and how fun it is. Thank-you for bringing it back.

    And Meaghan I had no idea your family raised bison! That’s the coolest thing EVER.

    I have a secret I haven't shared with anyone on my blog yet, but I'm going to tell you anyway. I'm allergic to cows. Not the petting sneezing kind of allergic, but if I eat said cows I get hives, stomachaches and stop breathing without immediate ingestion of Benadryl. So all the ground red meat you see is really bison (even in magazine shoots I do), unless it’s a specific cut of beef I have to talk about. In that case I take Benadryl beforehand, take a bite, chew and spit it out.

    I wish your bison raising family could adopt me! I'd be in heaven.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool recipe... I'll have try this for my child's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat recipe! And I love the copiious amounts of sprinkles! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog. Great job with the sprinkle fest. If you're gonna use them, might as well go all out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great reference and I can't even imagine how a cake could be possible with so few ingredients. I'm more then intrigued.

    Plus it cuts down on the fat - that's a win.

    This would make a great addition to my 52 cakes challenge. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this - especially with Dr. Pepper! Or root beer. And it looks pretty with all them sprinkles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I don't generally drink soda, but I'm so intrigued by this cake!! It's like magic! I bet this would be fun to make with kids too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a neat idea. I love the simplicity of it. I have a new linky on my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/01/sweets-for-saturday-1_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a fun cake to make! Love your deco too.

    I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Good Luck.

    http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, this sounds pretty fun! I never would have thought you could combine soda & cake mix without eggs etc... Very cool, thanks for sharing. Love all the sprinkles too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for coming by and linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday. I truly appreciate your support. Hope that you'll be able to join in again next week. By then, I'll have a cute button that you can grab and add to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, so I just made white cake mix with ginger ale and spice cake with ginger ale. Sooo delicious! The white cake was good, but the spice cake/ginger ale mix is insanely good! YUM! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete