Monday, January 10, 2011

Kosher Beef Brisket & Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes


Once again, I've made something of Pioneer Woman's and thought I should share. I also used one of my own recipes though! Garlic mashed potatoes. Fluffy and delicious ones! So, I promise this is still my blog. Mine, mine, you hear me! All mine! Bahahahahaha!


Moving on.

I made this brisket for one of my mother's friends who is so lovely and such a part of our lives, I consider her to be an Aunt. My Aunt Karen is Jewish and I wanted to make her a dinner she would appreciate. The brisket is Kosher, the potatoes when paired with the brisket shown here are not, but if you wanted to make the meal traditionally kosher, it's an easy fix.

The brisket was delicious. I got rave reviews for a recipe that I simply tossed together and threw into an oven for approximately the entire day. The potatoes were also a "smash" (ha, get it?!). The green beens are just steamed up on the side, no recipe needed.

Karen appreciated the food more then anyone else seemed to, giving me lots of overly kind compliments. When you make this for your friends and family, I hope you have as lovely a dinner as we all had together.

It was a pretty great night. Hope you guys are up to the challenge :)

PW's Kosher Brisket Recipe

Ingredients:

-1 whole Beef Brisket, Trimmed Of All Fat (5 To 8 Pounds)

-1 bottle (24 Ounce) Ketchup Or Chili Sauce (make Sure It's Kosher)

-1 package Onion Soup Mix (make Sure It's Kosher)

Place trimmed brisket into a large baking pan.
Mix ketchup with onion soup mix. Add 1 cup of water or more to make it slightly thin.
Pour sauce over the meat, cover pan with foil, and marinate 12 to 24 hours in the fridge.
Place covered pan into a 275-degree oven and walk away for 6 to 8 hours, depending on how large the brisket is. Check tenderness when brisket has been cooking several hours: stick in two forks and pull in opposite directions. Meat should come apart easily.
When meat is done, remove from oven and place on a cutting board. Slice against the grain; don’t be disturbed if meat totally falls apart! That means it’s good.
Either return the sliced meat to the sauce until serving, or place meat on a platter and spoon sauce over the top.
If you want to keep it kosher and NOT mess it up with my potatoes, choose some new sides. Such as a kosher-for-passover noodle kugel!

Garlic Mashed Potatoes:
Ingredients:
  • -2 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled, quartered
  • -4 cloves garlic, minced
  • -1 (8 ounce) tub PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese Spread
  • -1 tablespoon butter or margarine
  • -1 teaspoon salt

  • Cook potatoes and garlic in boiling water in large covered saucepan 20 min. or until potatoes are tender; drain. Mash potatoes until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients until well blended.


2 comments:

  1. Looks great, and very thoughtful of you to make the brisket for your Aunt Karen!! Great blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me a good brisket - and nothing better to serve with it than yummy mashers. Very nice of you to make it for your "aunt".

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete