Saturday, December 3, 2011

Garbage Omelet Casserole

My family has a lake house on this little lake in a little town in Wisconsin that has a little local diner that is packed with GIANT flavors. 

One particular favorite of my family is their Garbage Omelet. 


Let me break this down for you. It's an omelet filled with what veggies and breakfast meats are in the kitchen, stuffed with cheddar cheese, and then (and this is the beautiful part) topped with chili.

Topped.
With.
Chili. 


Oh. Yeah.


For Thanksgiving parade time/brunch, I decided to try and recreate this legendary omelet in a casserole form for my family. I searched the web for a recipe that was veggie and meat heavy that I could adapt with the flavors I wanted and could amp up by topping with chili. Below you will find my adapted recipe. I've gotta say, this is now a family favorite and I think it'll be showing up in DC for my roommates pretty soon too. It makes two 9X13 pans worth so, you could make one and save one. That lends itself to a lot of flavor joy.

I mean look at that. 

Just. Yeah. Yum doesn't begin to describe the savory flavors packed here.


Make it and enjoy :)

Ingredients:
-1 lb breakfast sausage, browned and drained
-1/2 lb diced ham, cooked
-2 packages pre-cooked bacon, chopped
-2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
-12 slices of bread, crustless and torn into cubes
-2 cups chopped veggies (I used spinach, red peppers, onions, and mushrooms)
-12 eggs
-4 cups milk
-3 tsp Mrs. Dash seasoning/spices to taste
-1 to 2 cans microwavable chili (heated to desired warmth at time of serving)

In a large mixing bowl, combine meats, cheese, bread, and veggies. In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, milk, and seasoning. Pour the egg mixture over the veggie/meat/bread mixture to combine. Pour into TWO 9 X 13 inch pans, or one extra large casserole dish, and let set for at least an hour or cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, serve with some chili spooned on top. 


3 comments:

  1. I have some chili planned to make in a couple of weeks, I"m going to make this with the leftovers! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One person's garbage is another's breakfast!

    ReplyDelete