Thursday, September 19, 2013

Cupcakes A-Z: R is for...

Romance Novel!


I will not even try to lie to you all.

I love myself a great romance novel.





Great being a loose term. 
"Great" ridiculous historical romance novels. "Great" insanely plot holed vampire romances. 
"Great" cover art. Always key.


Romance novels are cheesy, silly, sappy, fun reads. Can't help it. Even the poorly written ones are an enjoyable read, chief reason being the absolutely silly writing.


My romance novel was a frosted graham cracker that I painted with food dyes.


I tried to stay in the typical cover formula:


My author is a mash up of the names of two of my former roommates. Love those girls. Love love love.

They also appreciate a good romance novel :)

Good, as I illustrated previously, meaning bad, ha.


The graham cracker was, as I said, the structure and shape to my novel. I made the associated "Heart Fire" cupcakes by simply piping some hearts and illustrating a fiery smolder to them with some icing shading and some colored sugards.


I am particularly fond of the dress on my damsel.

For some cheeseball romances that are still an entertaining read, check out Stephanie Laurens. A favorite of my two beloved roommates.

For some, at least in my opinion, higher quality story lines, check out Nora Roberts more recent works. They usually have a fun plot, not just a lengthy setting of the mood. Be aware, you go back too far though, you end up with stuff from her Harlequin and Silhouette Romance days. Same old song and dance as the rest of the genre. Hadn't really come into her own. Still fun reads all the same just, keeping in mind, romance novels... well, all are pretty much the same.

If you are just looking for a good laugh and a cheesy story, entertainment value of the story being of little importance to you... just pick up the most crazy cover you see on display and start flipping through.

 

There are some real gems out there :) 

A Part of the Cupcakes A thru Z Project



No comments:

Post a Comment