Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Save the Pits!!! Guacamole


Guacamole is one of the most simple, delicious, dips of all time. And yes, it does happen to look like a moisturizing face mask.

Sure tastes good though.

Guacamole is one of those foods I group with chili dip and pizza. Yes, you can make a big production out of it. And yes, some of those times when you make super complicated and fancy recipes out of recipes that were previously 3 or 4 ingredients, it tastes even better then the easy version did.

But. Think of all that time you spent making it the complicated way. And, sorry, but a lot of times when people over think simple foods, I can't help but feel like they taste... less then stellar.

My one friend swears she makes the best guacamole this side of the country and makes a HUGE production over it. It tastes like cilantro goop.

Cilantro is a spice I will always insist to go easy on.

Anyway! SO, if any one has a recipe for guacamole that is more delicious but just as easy as my mom's recipe, let me know! I'm willing to add 10 minutes of production time if you swear it's really good.

P.S. And yes, this is, once again, a recipe so simple, it probably doesn't even count as a recipe...but there's a goooooood tip contained in there as well

Guacamole
-3 avocados
-Salt/Pepper
-Salsa


Mush your fresh avocado with a fork until it's at the texture you prefer. I like mine "whipped into submission" (Julie&Julia anyone?). SET THE BROWN PITS ASIDE. At salt and pepper to taste and then add at LEAST 8 good spoonfuls of salsa, more or less for the kick you like. This is how my recipe is cheating. Rather then finding my own combination of spices or chopping up tomatoes and onions to add some texture...My mom taught me to use the already tasty spice combos of mild salsa and prechopped veggies found within.

When you have your dip at a taste you find you enjoy, toss the brown pits BACK into the dip. Avocados are a very funny piece of nature, if you toss the pits back inside the avocado mush, it tricks the mush to somehow thinking it's still inside it's shell. Meaning, it doesn't turn brown. It stays all nice and green and flavorful for the entire length of your gathering.

Cool, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment